Quite some time has passed since the previous development update but I’m here again to talk about the latest nCine progress. By the way, in case you missed the latest article, the project has recently reached its tenth anniversary. 😉
Many of the following fixes and features have been driven…
A bit more than ten years have passed since that first commit.
The presence of a
.hgignore file reveals that I was using Mercurial at the time, an easier transition to DCVS for someone like me used to Subversion.
Some things were already there and stayed the same until now…
If you follow the project on GitHub you might have noticed a big development slowdown during the summer. I blame it on a combination of excessive heat and fatigue that led to a general lack of motivation and perseverance. ☀️
Fortunately, this does not mean that development didn’t resume at…
Posted on July 14, 2020
I have spent nearly two months on a big task this spring: custom memory allocators. They can be useful in different scenarios to alleviate the performance cost of allocating and deallocating memory.
But before diving into that I had to be sure that the containers…
Posted on March 30, 2020
Today I upgraded my Arch Linux workstation with pacman as I usually do every day and a little surprise was waiting for me. After a long time in
[testing], Mesa 20 came out of the
[extra] repository, ready to be installed.
This release brings a…
Posted on March 23, 2020
Welcome to another nCine development update! As usual, there are a lot of new things to cover.
To extend the support to more devices and platforms I have ported the nCine to ANGLE. It was an easy task as I just needed to tell GLFW…
Posted on December 24, 2019
A lot of work has been put into the project as usual during those last months of the year.
Plenty of new and important features have been added to the engine, many of them are related to extending the capabilities of sprite rendering.
Posted on September 21, 2019
The last two months of work on the nCine were mostly dedicated to the quality of life improvements for users.
First of all, I decided to get rid of the legacy debug overlay. It was a very old and problematic code that didn’t have any…
Posted on July 16, 2019
Exciting news for this development update: a new supported platform!
I remember playing with the idea of porting the nCine to Emscripten years ago. After all I had every requirement in place: I used OpenGL ES for Android, GLFW and SDL2 as input backends, OpenAL…
Posted on July 3, 2019
I’m sure many of you have heard it already: the nCine source code has been released on GitHub!
This means that lately most of the time was dedicated to publication related tasks, for example updates to the site like the addition of a “ why…